Sketchbook Challenge

Friday, October 19, 2012

OrangeAid

Tanabata Festival
Tanabata Festival













I decorated this orange to honor Sendai, Japan, the sister city to Riverside, Ca. I didn't know what I was going to do for the Riverside Art Museum, OrangeAid fundraiser, but when the idea came to me, I couldn't stop working on it. Everything fell into place. I found a book with antique and vintage kimonos and made acrylic skins which I collaged onto the orange. My connection with the traditions of Japan and the people who suffered terrible loss grew as I worked on the orange. I don't want to forget about the people of Sendai and my wish at the Tanabata festival is for steady reconstruction of the city and a restoration of the traditions that might keep their hope alive.



What am I going to do?
 

No comments: